I will admit I'm a little overwhelmed with the idea of designing and planning a homestead or mini farm from scratch. I know I want the design to be practical, sustainable, but also beautiful at the same time.
© Copyright Jim Champion and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
As if the design of the farmhouse itself isn't enough of a job, we must also have carefully planned spaces for various animals should we choose to keep them in the future. Of course you know this girl will be keeping her chickens! ;)
The placement of the gardens and orchard will be critical, and we can't forget outbuildings and other features such as proper water drainage, sunlight and permaculture design.
- main house
- barn or tool shed
- small greenhouse or cold frames
- kitchen garden
- row crops
- chicken coop and pen
- orchard and berry bushes
- pasture areas
- possibly pig and goat shelters?
- fire pit
- perennial beds for flowers and medicinal herbs
- rain barrels, swales to control rainwater runoff
- play area for the girls with a swingset and a sandbox
- wooded acreage for timber, foraging, and wildlife
I've started sketching out some rough drafts of a homestead design situated on our acreage. I'm definitely no expert in this.....but I'm enjoying playing around with the design. I can't wait to share it with you!