Been thinking about getting chickens? Are you struggling to pick a breed for your small homestead or mini farm?
At first, I was drawn to the history and heritage of the Dominique--it is the oldest American breed and an endangered breed. But I later learned of all of the Dominique's wonderful and practical qualities and am convinced it is the ideal homestead bird.
Below are my top reasons for why we chose to stick with the American Dominique as the chicken breed for our family.
1. They are dual-purpose birds (good for meat or eggs)
2. They are excellent, dependable layers
3. They are INCREDIBLE foragers and very independent, also quite curious
4. They are very hardy, and seem to do just fine in cold harsh weather
5. They don't go broody too often, but will go broody when you want them to with the right factors in place.
7. Due to their inquisitive nature, they will usually try any type of new treat or leftover I give them to supplement their diet
8. We have not had any major problems with disease in our flock due to their hardiness
9. All of our Dominique roosters have been respectful, good protectors and providers, and have never been aggressive towards us.
So there you have it. Yes, I am biased towards these birds :) If you do already raise Dominiques we have a great and active Facebook group page that you should definitely check out!